Sunday, August 11, 2013

DIY Burlap Wreath



I have seen these burlap wreaths all over Pintrest, and I finally decided that it was time to make one. I am the person who has a wreath or something on their front door year round. I needed a fall wreath. Not really but I really wanted to make this wreath!! I love the way it turned out. Getting the chevron to line up was a hard task all on its own! I love chevron but it can very difficult to recreate!


What you will need:
18" Wire wreath  
White paint
blue paint  (I didn't really care for the blue so i changed to red!)
Letter 
x-acto knife
Burlap Roll (Michael's) 
Hot Glue


1. I could not find a wood letter that I liked so I bought a paper mache T and cut the top off. 
You can use the other part for another craft! Paint the whole letter white. I used the color Snow (Titanium) White, and did a total of three coats.




2. This part is very tricky! Getting the chevron template on your letter is harder than it looks. I tried many different methods and they all did not work for me. You probably can see all the eraser marks! I ended up using the square method. I just followed the steps here and was able to make it work! 


3. Paint every other stripe red. I used the color Cardinal Red, and did about three coats on mine. Then I went and touched up with the white paint.


4. Burlap time!! Take your burlap roll and weave it through the wires to told it in place. You want the rest of your burlap to be under your wreath. Now take the burlap and push it through the wires creating a little bubble. Keep doing this through every wire and push them close together so none of the wire shows through. 




* I wanted my loops to be kinda big and I ran out of burlap!! Thankfully I had some extra left over from a previous project. If you don't want the loops as big you might be able to use just one roll. Also if your wreath is smaller you will be fine. If you want your loops big, buy an extra roll! To connect the burlap all you have to do is weave the end piece through the wires like at the beginning.

5. At the end of the wreath I left about a 4 to 6 inch piece of excess and just tucked it in to create another loop.


6. Lastly, attach your letter. I forgot to take a picture of the hot glue at the beginning. oops! If your using a paper mache letter or even cardboard then the hot glue will work. If your using a wood letter or something that has a little weight to it, then the hot glue might not work. If it is too heavy your letter could pull your loops out of your wreath! 

* I attached a small piece of fishing line to mine because the nail on my door is too high!


No comments:

Post a Comment